Closing OpenJanuary 8th 2018
Last November we took down our final show at Gallery OPEN. It has been a wonderful experience to curate the 6 shows we ran. I found working with each of the artists to develop a narrative to be very enriching, and enjoyed the intellectual work of situating the work in historical, social and political context.
We opened with a curatorial mission to exhibit critical work that dealt with the relationship between society and technology. Our first show dealt with inserting the subjective narrative of the artist's mistakes into procedural drawing, and by the time we closed we were showing critiques of tech-driven gentrification under the pressures of global capital.
If you missed these shows, you can still view the exhibition statements and documentation on the gallery website:
- Active Fields - Kawandeep Virdee - 2016 - series of anti-procedural drawings.
- Friend or Follow - Lauren McCarthy - 2016 - performance and sculptures satirizes of tech.
- Connecting - Shantel Martin - 2016 - new painting made with her open source printed drawing implements.
- Body Politic - Group exhibition guest curated by Laura Zittrain - 2017 - intersectional critiques of wearable Tech.
- Mind the Machine Shantell Martin and Sarah Schwettmann - 2017 - painting robots copying Shantell Martin's work.
- Luxury Waters - Pat Falco - 2017 - fake retail sales office for an absurd luxury real estate development.